I found some pictures of
R. A. Lafferty's studio door in
this page.



every flat surface not covered by books was covered by collage, of which Ray himself was the creator. When he was moved to a nursing home after a stroke, all his stuff was cleared out of his house, I think so the house could be remodeled and sold. (The University of Tulsa was offered his papers, but shamefully, they don't seem too interested.) The writer and poet Warren Brown managed to save this door from the trash.
Lafferty writing at the center of his vast library, taking bits and pieces from classical antiquity, the christian tradition, and many other sources. Myths, words, etymologies, strange theories of History. Rearranging them in quirky new forms, sometimes difficult to interpret but always a delight to read. That collage is a fitting metaphor.
If there's one science fiction author whose work merits annotated editions, that author is Lafferty. I would love to read a study about his use of classical and biblical allusions.
No comments:
Post a Comment