I have been searching for software that provides the kind of information historical atlases do, but in animated form. The idea is to watch empires fall and frontiers fluctuate as years go by. Something like this flash animation of Middle East history, but more detailed and with some degree of user control over how the information is displayed.
I have found a commercial program called Centennia, which does just that:
CENTENNIA is a map-based guide to the history of Europe and the Middle East from the beginning of the 11th century to the present. It is a dynamic, animated historical atlas including over 9,000 border changes. The map controls evolve the map forward or backward in time bringing the static map to life. Our maps display every major war and territorial conflict displaying the status of each region at intervals of a tenth of a year. The maps reflect actual "power on the ground" rather than internationally-sanctioned or "recognized" borders.
You can download it and try it for free, although the trial version is circumscribed in time to the years between 1789 and 1819.
Then there's AtlasOfWorldHistory.com, which I haven't tried yet. Also, games like Europa Universalis may offer similar functionality, although it would be constrained to the level of detail of the gamemap.
Anyone knows of more programs like these?
Edit: I found another one, from the BBC.
No comments:
Post a Comment